Adults with a myriad of diagnoses (Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias, multiple sclerosis, strokes, Parkinson’s disease, autism, and many more) come to spend their days with us. Maybe they can’t stay home alone due to health and safety concerns. Maybe they like to be busy and participate in activities. And quite simply, maybe they are looking for some excitement in their days and something to call their own. That’s what Joy’s House is – a safe and loving community devoted to comfort and care.
What is the recommendation process?
- Introductory Inquiry Phone Call (approx. 20 minutes, optional)
- Initial Tour of Joy’s House (approx. 30 minutes, optional – no appointment necessary)
- Formal Assessment (typically 1-2 hours, required)
When someone calls in to inquire about services, we have a very natural and simple conversation over the phone. We can usually tell by the conversation if the potential Guest sounds like he or she might be a good fit at Joy’s House and if we might be a good fit for their needs and desires. Families are always welcome to stop by and take a tour at their convenience. If there is interest in services, we invite the family to visit Joy’s House and participate in a more formal assessment. And if Joy’s House isn’t the right fit, we do everything in our power to make sure that they receive the proper care from another venue.
Our formal criteria are fairly simple. Is the potential Guest over the age of 18? Is he or she able to take care of basic needs? If medication is needed while visiting Joy’s House, can medication be swallowed without assistance? You see, while we are all trained in CPR, First Aid and transferring, we are a non-medical model adult day service. However, most families respond by telling us that they are not trained medically either and yet, they care for their loved one the majority of the day. That makes good sense to us.
What should I bring to the assessment?
- Physical examination paperwork (Joy’s House can provide in advance)
- Doctor’s recommendation (Joy’s House can provide in advance)
- List of all medications taken by loved one on a regular basis
- List of all doctors and contact information
- Legal paperwork, including PDA and Living Will
Contact our Sr. Vice President of Family Care, Laura, regarding our services or for more information about becoming a Guest at Joy’s House.